Map Legend A. Alamo B. Court House C. City Hall D. San Fernando Catholic Church
1938 - Andrew Jackson Houston’s map of the Siege of the Alamo as illustrated for his book “Texas Independence.” Houston’s caption for this figure is as follows: “Terrain comprised in the zone of fire of the Mexican batteries toward the fortress of the Alamo, with their locations, and the radius of fire of the batteries within the works, during the bombardment, until the final assault, March 6, 1836. Full lines, original streets and buildings. Dotted Lines, later streets and buildings.”
Houston, the son of Sam Houston, included a number of military maps in a map pocket at the back of the book. The accuracy of the specific locations depicted on this map is questionable at best. For example, the Molino Blanco mill is shown on the east side of the San Antonio River rather than in its correct position on the west bank. As with other maps made by Houston for this publication, specific sources are not given. Houston: Anson Jones Press.
Detail of Mexican positions in town.
Detail of the Alamo and Mexican positions in La Villita.
Detail of Mexican positions near the Powder House.
Detail of Mexican positions near Casa Mata Antigua.
Detail of Mexican positions along the Alamo Acequia.
Detail of Mexican positions near the Molino Blanco.